Monday 5 September 2011

Why "Dhonno Bahd"?

From our team to you, Kolkata! We thank you. 
ধন্যবাদ
(d'oh-noh-baad)

Dhonno bahd means "thank you" in Bengali.

Apparently as North Americans in Kolkata, we would say 'thank you' way too much (force of habit!): after bargaining, after being handed our bag of mangoes at the market, after receiving change from the seller, and once again when leaving the fruit stall.

I think we amused many a local Kolkatan by our constant usage of this phrase.

Right before we left for the airport, my team and I stood on the roof and, in unison, shouted at the city at the top of our lungs. Sort of as a farewell I think. For some of my teammates it was a chance to finally tell the city what they truly thought about it.

I yelled "THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"
I wanted to thank the city for all it had taken away and given me.
So I thought it would be fitting that I named this blog "thank you", in memory of the last thing I told the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment